2008-07-14

Sarah's Story ... Teenage Daughter's Pregnancy ... the Power of Christ in Crisis


My friend Sarah sent this to me last night ... I hope it encourages you as it has encouraged me!

"God uses crises in our lives to fulfill his purpose, if we only step outside ourselves to see it. Think about all of the "stumbling blocks" in our lives that are actually God's way of opening our eyes to his ever-redeeming love.

Several months ago, my teenage daughter came to me with the news most parents fear hearing "I'm pregnant". I always imagined how I would feel if I heard those words, but no amount of preconceived notions prepared me for reality. First I stood in disbelief.... then anger.... and then I was heartsick. The only words I was able to utter were "just leave me alone for a minute".

Before I became a Christ follower, I would have responded much differently, however my own sinfulness still made me think "what will people think of me as a parent?" Those few precious moments after the news, I got out my bible and sat quietly in reflection and prayer. I asked God to help me respond the way he wanted instead of the way I wanted. What came to me in those moments surprised me quite a bit. I was shown how, over the years, my own judgment on the parents of teenage moms was not very Christ-like. Or, that instead of looking on every pregnancy, and every infant... no matter what circumstances they were born under, was a gift from God. EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE! What was shown to me in those minutes after the news was that I was raised by my grandmother, because my mom was also a pregnant teen, and how alone my mom must have felt.
As a walk along side my daughter, instead of feeling embarrassment... Jesus is walking along side us cradling my daughter in his arms. When we get "not so nice" stares from other people... I remember that it is not the opinion of others that makes us worthwhile, but the strength that Christ gives us through trials and life's circumstances, if we only turn to Him for guidance.

I thank God for being there for me after I heard the news of my daughters pregnancy. I know that He is with us no matter what mistakes we make in our lives, and no one is outside the realm of forgiveness. I ask and pray that we can all look on our brothers and sisters as made in God's image, and that any birth as a celebration.. no matter what the circumstances!!!!!!! We are anxiously awaiting the birth of our grandchild, as a creation of Christ and ask for your prayers that my daughter gets through her
pregnancy with little stress and forever gratefulness!!!!!"

Sarah, you and your family are in my prayers, and each time you come to my mind I thank God for you!

No comments: