2008-03-03

Africa On Susan's Mind


My sister in Christ, Susan sent this to me tonight...

"I cannot shake from my memory, one poor grandmother living with her daughter, son-in-law and three grandchildren (under the age of eight) I learned about at the Global AIDS Summit in 2006. Over a short period of time both parents contracted and died of HIV/AIDS. The grandmother was forced to climb on top of the cities garbage dump and sift through the trash looking for plastic bags to recycle. She would spend the day in the trash to receive pennies for the few plastic bags she was fortunate enough to find. The bags were dripping with filth yet she carried them in her hands as if they were gold. The food that she was able to purchase was only enough for one meal and it was divided between the three children, she often went hungry. Every time I am handed a plastic bag at the grocery store, my mind is triggered to the memory of the grandmother’s face, of desperation — looking for one more plastic bag. This grandmother and her dedication to loving her little family moved me beyond comfort into heartache.

I have tried to shake the memories of the heart breaking stories I watched and heard two years ago at the Global Summit on AIDS in California. The children, their sad eyes and their tear stained faces. About the time I think I just may have buried their faces somewhere so deep within me………… I find Africa is on my mind again.

So here it has come to pass, I have an opportunity to go to Richards Bay South Africa for two weeks this July, with a group called SAMission that I was connected with through the 2006 Global Summit on AIDS and the Church. You can read more about the details of their missionary activity at www.samissionorg .

We are leaving in July; however, I need to collect $2,050.00 by the end of March to enable me to make a definite commitment to go and to pay for my airfare by March 28th. The mission trip’s total cost per person is approximately $3,300.00. Would you be willing to help me fulfill a dream for me to experience God’s love in going to Africa and allow me to love my neighbors that have buried themselves some where in my heart?

Thank you for you consideration, Susan O’Hara-Osborne"

If you have any interest in supporting this endeavor to love on our Neighbors in Africa, contact me and I will connect you to Susan. peace, jamie

No comments: