2009-04-30

Self-Centeredness & Anger


Thomas Jefferson once said “If angry, count to ten before you speak; if very angry, count to one hundred.” Where does anger come from? It is a reaction to irritating people and circumstances, you might say. But I believe that the root cause of anger is self-centeredness which is ultimately pride. We live in a world that tells us “It's all about me!” And when something doesn't suit the center of our "me universe" then anger erupts. That's difficult to admit, isn't it?

God has been bringing “self-centeredness” to my attention lately. My husband and I are BIG Komets fans. The coliseum and the games are a good lesson for self-centeredness. First there's the people who run over your toes because they are just focused on something other than you! When you find your seat, someone sits in front of you and reeks of BAD cologne. Another group sits behind you and they don't even watch the game they just talk and talk and talk and talk. AND the refs...well we'll forget the refs...they will continue to be annoying. But, I get so angry when I can't breathe because of someone pouring their entire bottle of perfume on them or talk about how "little George" ran over his big sister with the toy wheel barrow and they had to pretend to take her to the hospital instead of watching the game. I have turned around and told people in back of me to be quiet and watch the game, I've yelled at people to sit down so I can see, I've moved because I couldn't breathe but not until after Ive complained to my husband and whoever else wants to listen.


Rather than using our words in anger or grumbling, we can use our words to be the fragrance of Christ (2 Corinthians 2:15). Have you ever hugged someone and ended up wearing her perfume? We will leave a fragrance, so to speak, by the words we speak. It can be a pleasing fragrance or one that reeks. Instead of speaking words of anger. I should be gracious and with the love of Christ speak words of kindness. Rather than becoming angry, I should exude the fragrance of Christ and have it permeate the entire fan section.

We have a choice. When we choose not to react in self-centered anger, but extend grace, the aroma of Christ is released. Paul writes “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this; Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because our anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires”


When I speak words of love and grace I emit the fragrance of life. When I speak words of grumbling and anger I smell of death. Hmmmm! Which do we want to smell like?


Grace and peace be with you,
Christie

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: