2008-04-12

Captivating!

Love stories are alluring. We are fascinated to watch the pursuit of the object of another person’s love. Let me share a few of the love stories that I have stumbled upon that are fascinating me recently…

Solomon’s Story:
In the movie Blood Diamond, the fisherman father after escaping his captors sets out on a pilgrimage of love. First tracking down his family who are now hostages of a refugee camp to learn that his son has been forced at 12 to become a soldier. Solomon the fisherman willingly accepts every risk and sacrifice to bring forth freedom for those he adores. The line in the movie that moved me down deep in the core of my being was when he with quiet strength said “I am his father, and I am going to find my son.” When he does finally find his son – a child who is now addicted to a life of drugs, violence and killing. Instead of Solomon leaving his son … he gives his very life to set him free.

Martin’s Story:
The life of Martin Luther King Jr., who was so compelled by love for others that he set aside all reason and safety to do whatever was within his power to change the paradigms of those around him. In love he admonished and inspired radical change to bring about the end of segregation. His pursuit of love and his dream encourages my dreams.

Georgia’s Story:
Whenever I listen to “Love Song” by Third Day it reminds me of a silly sweet romantic comedy I watched with my daughter, Last Holiday. Georgia Byrd lives a small life tucked inside big dreams when she learns she only has a few weeks to live. Her response is to embark on a radical adventure to live out all her dreams. In the midst of this, the man who has secretly fallen in love with her pursues her across the ocean, over the mountains and up to the top ledge of a multi-story building to say … “I love you, and I want to spend whatever time God will allow me to have with you … whether it is five minutes or fifty years.”

Jeanne’s Story:
The life of Madam Jeanne Marie Bouvier de la Motte Guyon who’s love pursuit and practice of union with her creator was her life’s mission. In pursuing the object of her affection she was persecuted, branded a heretic and then held captive in the French prison the Bastille, then again later in both the castles of Oloron and of Lourdes. Guyon was imprisoned for teaching others to listen in prayer more than speak and spend time focusing on God rather than religion. As she wrote in one of her poems later in her life: "There was a period when I chose, a time and place for prayer ... But now I seek that constant prayer, an inward stillness known ..."


His Story:
The lyrics of Third Day’s “Love Song” I mentioned above shares a piece of the love story of Jesus in just a few very short verses. I find the bridge challenging to sing every time I hear it – since it is to be sung by Jesus, not me:
“I know that you don't understand
the fullness of My love
How I died upon the cross for your sins
And I know that you don't realize
how much that I gave you
But I promise, I would do it all again.

Just to be with you, I've done everything
There's no price I did not pay
Just to be with you, I gave everything
Yes, I gave my life away.”

Oh my! The truth of these words illuminates how His love is so captivating to me! I don’t understand it, yet, I am absolutely mesmerized by it.

Do you have love stories that captivate you? Will you share them with me???

No comments: